Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cider-Braised Chicken

I found this recipe in one of my Cook's Country magazines and I knew that I had to give it a whirl. It has been on the calendar to make for probably 3 months now and I just hadn't gotten around to it. As with almost everything, I had to make some adjustments to fit my own personal taste, but it turned out excellent. It would be a great Fall dish with fresh apples and cider.Ingredients:
1-1/2 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces
salt and pepper
1 tsp. canola oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme
1 large apple (Jonagold or Golden Delicious) peeled, cored, and cut into 3/4 in. chunks
3/4 c. apple cider
1/2 tsp. apple vinegar

Pat dry the chicken pieces with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an oven safe skillet, I prefer my cast-iron skillet. Cook chicken skin down for about 10 minutes. Flip chicken pieces over and cook for an additional 5 minutes. Remove chicken to a plate.

In the remaining oil saute the shallot until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, thyme, and flour. Once well mixed add the apple cider, vinegar, and apple. Heat to boiling.

Nestle in the chicken pieces skin side up. Place skillet in a 450 degree over for about 10 minutes.

Remove and plate chicken. The sauce can be served on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment