Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Chicken Pesto Pizza

I love pizza, but I get bored with pepperoni, Hawaiian, etc. so I find myself trying new toppings and sauces all the time. I was flipping through one of my many cookbooks (Taste of Home) last week looking for some new ides when I landed on this recipe.
Ingredients:
1 tube refrigerated pizza dough (now, I can't stand to use that stuff so I make my own dough. I'll post that recipe soon)
1/2 c. water
3 T. olive oil
1 envelope pesto sauce mix
1 pkg. (10oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/2 c. ricotta cheese (I used the fat free ricotta)
1/4 c. chopped onion
2 c. shredded cooked chicken
1 jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 roma tomatoes, sliced
1 c. shredded Swiss cheese
1/4 c. grated Romano cheese

The recipe says to unroll the pizza crust onto a jellyroll pan, however I prefer to use a pizza stone. Prick the dough with a fork and bake at 425 degrees for about 7 minutes.

In a small sauce pan combine the water, oil and pesto mix and warm through, don't boil. Add the spinach, ricotta and onion and mix well.
*The recipe says to use this entire amount on the pizza, but when I made it I felt that it was just too much, so I saved half of it and put it in the freezer to use when I make this pizza again. Spread the spinach pesto mix over the crust.

Top with mushrooms, chicken, tomatoes and both Swiss and Romano cheese. Bake at the same 425 degrees for another 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is golden.
Serves 8
Points: 7 per slice

No comments:

Post a Comment