Thursday, October 29, 2009

Alice Springs Chicken

I love Outback's Alice Springs Chicken, but I can't bear to pay $16 for it every time I want it. My Aunt Jenny put this recipe in our family cookbook and we love it. We use the honey-mustard marinade all the time. It works great as a dipping sauce too.Ingredients:
1/2 c. Grey Poupon mustard
1/2 c. honey
1-1/2 tsp. oil
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1 T. oil
2 c. sliced mushrooms (10-12 mushrooms)
2 T. butter
salt
pepper
paprika
8 slices bacon, cooked
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
*I find slices of cheese easier though, and pepper jack is great
2 tsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional)

To make the marinade use an electric mixer to combine the mustard, honey, oil and lemon juice. Whip for about 30 seconds. Pour about 2/3 of the marinade over the chicken and save the rest for a dipping sauce. I like to marinade in a Ziploc bag instead of a bowl. Less wasted space. Allow to marinade in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Chill the remaining marinade as well.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. You will need an oven safe frying pan for this. I use my cast-iron skillet. While the oven is heating I cook the chicken. You can sear it in a pan with oil for 3-4 minutes per side. However I like to grill it for that same amount of time to avoid the oil and add that smoky flavor. Baste chicken with marinade and season with salt, pepper and paprika. While the chicken is cooking saute mushrooms in butter.

Place chicken in your oven safe pan if it isn't there already. Stack 2 slices of bacon on each breast in an X shape. Spoon mushrooms over each breast. Finally sprinkle with cheese (or if you are me place a slice of cheese on top).

Bake in the 375 degree oven for 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is fully melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with parsley before serving and place remaining marinade in a small bowl on the side.
Serves 4
Points: 9

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your recipes, Jenn! I am really excited to try this one. I start here to make my 2-week menu these days...We have loved everything we've tried from in here! You are just great to type all of this up for us. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete