Saturday, October 3, 2009

Meatballs

We were putting together out menu for the month and Tyson mentioned that the one thing that we have not had to eat since we got married was spaghetti. Well, truth be told, I generally don't really like spaghetti and it has always seemed so plain and overly simple to me. Anyway, Tyson wanted spaghetti so I figured that I might as well make spaghetti and meatballs.
I'm only putting up my simple recipe for meatballs for now. I'll post a marinara sauce recipe at another time.Ingredients:
1 lb. lean ground beef (I use the super lean ground beef, but ground sirloin or elk is also good. Avoid ground turkey or chicken because the flavor doesn't translate well)
2 eggs
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
*1 package Lipton onion soup mix
OR
2 tsp. Italian seasoning

In a mixing bowl combine the eggs, bread crumbs, cheese, soup mix OR Italian seasoning. *Decide based on the flavor that you would like. The onion soup mix will make for a stronger flavor and the Italian seasoning will complement your basic marinara sauce.

Add ground beef and combine by hand. Don't work it for too long as that can make the meat tough. Divide the mixture evening to create 16 meat balls. Place them in a greased baking dish and broil for 15 minutes, just to brown them.

Remove from the oven and place them in a simmering sauce. Cover and allow to cook for an additional 25 minutes.
Yields: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment